Re: AdminRest: BCP editing team and timeline

2004-11-12 11:53:43

--On 12. november 2004 06:24 -0800 "Lucy E. Lynch" <llynch(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Follow-up from plenary:

The next step in the AdminRest process is to get a revised version of the
IASA-defining BCP document (currently draft-wasserman-iasa-bcp-01)
published, based on current input.

The editing team for this effort is Bert Wijnen and Rob Austein; for nits
and non-substantive suggestions, you can send suggestions directly to
them. For substantive issues and changes, please send them to the IETF
list.

timeline related request -

Can someone (Harald? Leslie?) please post a timeline (with target
dates) for all proposed activity related to admin restructuring between
now and the spring meeting?

We will do that - as dates are modified and slip, we'll keep the stuff on the web page updated as best we can, and post on the IETF list for significant changes. Maybe on the plane home....?

Also, see below for a suggested changes for the  "four major elements"
in draft-wasserman-adminrest-plan-01.txt Sec. 3 (Transition Plan Overview)
with a shift grom parallel to serial deployment of some elements.

1] Finalizing the BCP text and getting it approved by the IETF community
   and ISOC.
2] Selecting an IASA transition team, to work on the transition to the
   IASA/IAOC structure as soon as is practically possible.
3] Selecting IASA leadership. This includes appointing the IAOC.
4] Determining the structure and work flow of the IASA, deciding which
   portions of the IASA should be staffed via an open request for
   proposals (RFP)  process and issuing a RFP for those portions. It may
   also include establishing the criteria for sole source contracts or
   MOUs for other portions of the IASA.
5.] Determining the position requirements and terms of employment for the
    IAD, with community input.
6.] Recruiting and hiring the IAD.
7.] Negotiating agreements with service providers.

I don't think we should hire someone before "Determining the structure and
work flow of the IASA". Being the single paid employee in an all volunteer
organization will be tough enough - we need to be very clear about what
we need/expect before we hire.

This seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure how to modify the timeline in section 5 to reflect what you suggest.... there are a couple of arguments going around:

- We need to finish the process reasonably expediently
- If we hire someone who is good at managing contracts, that person needs to be part of the negotiation of those contracts. This means "don't expect to sign contracts before <amount of time X> after the IAD gets hired". - Don't sign contracts before you have the oversight body established. This means "don't hire the IAD before the BCP is approved and IAOC is seated".

I think my conclusion is that the right place for determining the role and responsibilities of the IAD needs to be done by the transition team (Nov-Feb or thereabouts), and that the conclusions are reconfirmed by the IAOC before they actually hire the IAD. The rate of change in the BCP draft doesn't seem to be enormous now.

There could be some overlap in time between "recruiting" and "defining requirments", but not too much, I think - definitely need requirements before we start to drill down on specific names.

Does that make sense to you?

                           Harald