Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 13:42:37
Eric S. Raymond writes:

For somebody administering a network of 100 machines, the hassle cost
of IP renumbering would be twenty times larger.  Given this, how could
anyone wonder why NAT is popular?

There's another feature of NAT that is desirable that has not yet been
mentioned, and which at least some customers may be cognizant of: the
fact that NAT is a pretty restrictive firewall.

I'm as big a fan of the end-to-end principle as anybody, but until the
ends are trustworthy, we can't get there. Whether by IPv6 or IPv4,
less-than-fanatically-administered Windows and Unix systems simply
cannot be directly connected to the Internet.

:(

--
Chris Palmer
Staff Technologist, Electronic Frontier Foundation

81C0 E11D CE73 4390 B6C7  3415 B286 CD8F 68E4 09CD