Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 15:01:24
Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Indeed.  I think this is true.  Several people on this list have tried to tell
me that I don't really want the IP address space on my local net to be decoupled from the server address.
They are wrong.  I want to be able to change ISPs by fixing *one* IP
address in *one* place, and I want to control the mapping from global
IP addresses to local ones.  This desire has nothing to do with IPv4
vs. IPv6 and everything to do with wanting to be able to make only
small, conservative changes in my network configuration rather than
having to completely disrupt it.

You wouldn't care about touch points if even a large number were reliable and secure, and that is the key. At the consumer level I think it's VERY important that most people not care about the IP address they are assigned. In fact it's important that they not have to know anything about what they're addressed! And you're right: it doesn't matter whether it's v4 or v6. So. Where are the gaps?

Eliot