Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 14:59:46
Eric - Fred has the model right.  The CPE router (actually a gateway with
router/firewall/DHCP/DNS services) uses DHCPv6 PD (prefix delegation; RFC
3633) to obtain a prefix (either a /64 or shorter) and then assigns /64
prefixes to any downstream links.  The devices in the home use either
autonomous address selection or DHCPv6 for address assignment and DHCPv6 for
other configuration information.  Those devices use DDNS - either in the
gateway or provided by the ISP - to announce any publicly accessible
addresses.

The net effect is that a customer can plug in a gateway and then devices on
the downstream links from the gateway without any hands-on configuration by
either the customer or the ISP.  There seems to be pretty broad consensus
among ISPs that this model describes the initial version of IPv6 service.

Check out draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-00.txt for more thoughts about why NATs
are in use today and how IPv6 provides the same functions.

As Fred says, the IETF continues to identify specific needs - in this case,
the need for minimal overhead to both the customer and the ISP for IPv6
service - get buy-in from the interested parties and develop solutions and
standards for protocols that can meet those needs, such as the RFCs and
Internet Drafts we've referred to in this thread...

- Ralph