Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-30 17:52:27
Thus spake "Tim Chown" <tjc(_at_)ecs(_dot_)soton(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
I didn't say that your mother could do this, but given that some amateurs
have already modified the Linksys to do v6 then it would not be difficult
for Cisco/Linksys to do so in a short timeframe, if they chose to.

The interesting question is why Cisco/Linksys has not done so yet. IMHO, this is the single biggest _logistical_ barrier to IPv6 deployment.

As for NAT, then v4+NAT dual-stack IPv6 will be very common.

I'd be perfectly happy to run IPv6 on my home network, and let my Linksys do 6-to-4 NAT, real 6to4, IPv6 tunnels, etc. as appropriate. Of course, if my monopoly broadband provider were to wake up and offer native IPv6, I'd want real IPv6 connectivity...