RE: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-22 00:39:18

Run a market survey and you will find out why people buy these NAT devices.  It
shouldn't be that hard, you can hire one of many consumer research firms to do
that kind of quantative research for you.

While you are at it, you might ask if they know about TCP/IP, and what they
know about the 4th version of IP.  I suspect people understand IP just about as
much as they understand the nature of powerline transmission or the nature of
AC electricity.  It is probably a hallmark of success of an infrastructure that
"it is just there".

You are of course correct that I am most likely overstating the reasons people
purchase NATs, and I am certainly dating myself.   I suspect a more recent
survey will reveal that people get NATs as a side product of purchasing wifi
connectivity.

regards, peterf