RE: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-20 15:27:32
Kai Henningsen wrote:
Everytime someone comes up and says "but just look at how ISDN
failed", I go "Huh?! That's a strange way of spelling "was
wildly successful"!
Just because *you* still use stone-age technology ...

Talking about stone-age technology:

- My stone-age phone does not ring busy when I use the data at the same
time.
- My stone-age analog line provides me 24 times more bandwidth than
yours.
- My stone-age phone makes unlimited free local calls.
- My stone-age analog phone line provides me with always-on data, with
no per-minute charges nor call setup.

As a matter of fact, it's a lot better than your modern one.

the majority of phones and dial-up still are analog and
now ISDN costs _more_ than DSL or cable for low-end data.

That's just ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is you. Tell me, mister I-know-it-all-for-the-entire
world, how does it cost to get 3mbit always-on service with a static IP
over ISDN lines? Oh, I see. It's not available and you have to bond
_two_ E1s to get this much bandwidth. Right on. You can't even get
128kbit always-on service for the price I pay for my 3mbit.

If you are slow enough to surf the net at 64kb or 128kbit, good for you.
Lots of us have a higher clock and like broadband better than dial-up
speeds.

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
But that's the situation in the US...  DSL/Cable are
significantly cheaper and faster than ISDN, often by a
factor of 10x or more per kbps.

It's not only in the US. In France for 30 euros/month you get up to
15mbit down/1megabit up and free VOIP with hook to the PSTN on the
regular phone line. In Sweden and Norway they have monthly plans in the
same range as the US, _and_ they don't cap the amount of data
transferred (we're talking about 8megabit with no quota for $40 a month,
great for hardcore file swappers). In South Korea they get good stuff
too I hear.

Michel.