Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-20 00:21:41
Spencer,

Inertia is actually a fairly stong force, and IPv4 has a lot of it.

I'd be happy to point out some shipping products & announcements from carriers
about IPv6, however.

John
------------------- Original message -------------------
Subject: Re: How the IPnG effort was started
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
Time: 11/18/2004 11:10 pm

I apologize in advance for feeding this thread, but the conversation
seems to be diverging from what I thought we had actually been
previously...

IIRC, we've semi-recently been off to the land of "PCs in homes and
cell phones". I can say I was honestly dismayed that cable providers
in the United States went to IPv4 instead of IPv6, but they did. I can
say I was honestly dismayed to learn (in the past year) that the
Push-to-talk Over Cellular (PoC) 1.0 specifications (*) changed the
3GPP IMS specifications (that required IPv6) to use IPv4 instead. But
that's what's been happening lately.

I'm not nearly as interested in forecasting the future as some of you
guys, but it seems like we do have to recognize that deployment of
IPv6 in either residential access or cell phones would reverse some
pretty recent trends. Trends do reverse, but I haven't seen a
deceleration point yet, much less a "tipping point" in these networks.

Sorry!

Spencer

(*) Available from a variety of places, including
http://www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld/sub/open/technologies/ims_poc/docs/poc_relase_1_0_spec