RE: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-18 17:12:49

Jeff,

In terms of being "inside the ISP space", I would include all of those
people who build software and hardware for ISPs such as router, switch,
firewall, etc..

My taxonomy intended to differentiate between app/host vendors and
IP-transport/router-switch vendors.

Apologies to all in my broad brush polar coloring of the world.

I actually disagree: I contend that IPv6 can happen without the ISPs.
Why couldn't the entire world end up running IPv6 on top of IPv4?  What
is the total number of ISP demarcations needed for everyone in the work
to interconnect with the Internet?

If at some later point in time the ISPs join the IPv6 party, then the
world will be better off.

(I am of course arguing at the ends of the spectrum of possibilities,
reality might live somewhere in between)

Regards, peterf
(an app/host kind of guy ... :-), but I used to be in the IP-transport
biz)