Re: AdminRest: Finances and Accounting

2004-11-18 17:00:03

Hi Ted,

At 2:45 PM -0800 11/18/04, Ted Hardie wrote:
 That's something
that the community should expect to understand and consent to; after
all, a great deal of it is money they will contribute either through meeting
fees or memberships.  Expert review to make sure that we're saying what
we want correctly (and that we understand the consequences) is certainly
appropriate.  Asking external parties to make those decisions for us
is not a good idea.  Waiting to make those decisions until the die is cast
is a startling bad one, and it isn't fair to ISOC or the IETF.

Do you consider the IAOC to be "external parties"?

I don't consider the IAOC to be any more external than the IESG and IAB, so I think it is appropriate for them to run their own function (the IETF Administrative Support Activity) with the same level of authority and discretion that we afford the IESG in running the IETF Standards Process.

Margaret