Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 09:17:10
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 15:52 +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:44:18AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

To sum up, NAT gives me two features:

1. Multiple machines on the single-address allocation the ISP gives me.
2. Decoupling of mt local network addresses from the ISP assignment.

I hear a lot of muttering about NATs being evil.  I really don't have an
opinion on the subject -- I understand some of the theoretical problems,
but they've never bitten me.  So, asking as a network administrator,
how would the implied problems be solved in an IPv6 world?

The internet does not only consist of HTTP pages.

What if you want to do VoIP from _multiple_ computers or even real VoIP
phones. Or something nice as setting up a gameserver behind your NAT.
Won't work.

That many applications have a lot of tricks to circumvent NAT's, mostly
by using some external un-nat-ted server, that is sheer luck, it still
is not end to end.

For #1, you use IPv6 globals on link for the global connections.

For #2, you could (if you wanted) use IPv6 ULAs for intra-site connectivity,
if you didn't want to contemplate using globals and renumbering on changing
ISP (which is a rare events for a home user?)

Depends on the type of home user ;)
Nevertheless, most homes currently only consist of maybe 3 ethernet
segments (wired, wireless, office or something) and maybe a max of 20
hosts. Changing the IP's of those hosts should not be a problem even if
you had to do it manually. Most of these NAT boxes come with built-in
DHCP support, hopefully the will come with IPv6 and RA and maybe DHCPv6
support too in the near future (Yamaha has them already :)

Greets,
 Jeroen