Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 14:43:11
Eric,

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>:
I submit that if your environment is at all like mine, you don't actually
configure 192.168.whatever addresses on the equipment in your house. You
run DHCP within the home and it assigns such. That being the case, you
actually don't know or care what the addresses are on your equipment. You
care that your SIP Proxy and etc know the relationships, and they derive
them directly without your intervention.

Actually, I do set up static addresses.  I'd use DHCP, but if I did that
I would not be able to refer to the machines on my local net by name.

Until my DHCP client can update my DNS tables with name information
on the fly, I'll keep doing doing it this way.  Apple's zeroconf
technology solves this problem, albeit in a slightly different way,
but Linux doesn't deploy it yet.

Please see http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/books/dnsupdate.  This allows a
host on a dynamic address to be its own primary authoritative dns server.
With slight adjustments, and a client/server architecture, which I have
implemented with similar code in the past, it could easily do what you
need.

Scott

I don't think my situation is unique.

sleekfreak pirate broadcast