Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-22 12:06:08
At 01:13 PM 11/22/04 -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
Fred, while I agree completely with this, we all need to understand that it has another implication. If the customer is offered a snazzy new IPv6 device, using public address space, that fails to offer "plug it in and it will work", then the customer is unlikely to buy it.

No argument. That, actually, is half of my point.

The assertion I replied to was that the thing the customer bought was address isolation via private addressing. No, I assert, that isn't what he bough. He bought "plug and play". Provide "plug and play", and he will buy the new solution just as readily.

Your assertion is the flip side of the inference. Fail to provide "plug and play", and the customer will not buy it.

Very true.