Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-29 05:52:20
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 01:38 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Kai Henningsen <kaih(_at_)khms(_dot_)westfalen(_dot_)de>:
Oh, sorry. Not *exactly*. It's the DHCP *server* which does the DNS
update.

My DHCP server is firmware in my Linksys :-).

Which is a Linux box, which can be upgraded ;)

http://www.openwrt.org/
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g
etc...

8<----------
dhcp client / server
  * caching dns server (with hooks to dhcp to lookup dhcp client
    hostnames

Linksys WRTG's are probably one of the nicest NAT boxes, you can even
let them _route_ IPv6, including firewalling ;)
(Which reminds me to simply get one so I have a very cheap spare linux
box to fool around with, almost cheaper as buying vmware ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen