RE: Adminrest: section 3.5

2004-12-02 15:12:39
Scott writes:

draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-01 section 3.5 says
   The IAOC attempts to reach all decisions unanimously.  If unanimity
   cannot be achieved, the IAOC chair may conduct informal polls to
   determine the consensus of the group.  In cases where it is
   necessary, some decisions may be made by voting.  For the purpose of
   judging consensus or voting, only the "voting members" (as defined in
   Section 4) shall be counted.  If voting results in a tie, then IAOC
   chair decides how to proceed with the decision process.

      Editors' note: The above text was changed from the previous
      version.  Are the voting rules in the preceding paragraph
      sufficient?  Do we need to define rules for determining a quorum?

I would not define a quorum because I would hope that this work would not
require face to face or conference call meetings - I'd just say that
the vote takes place among the current members of the IAOC.

but as I said before - I expect we will be close to failure if the IAD
proceeds on the basis of a close vote in the IAOC.  I'd rather that
mininum vote required to proceed (in those cases where a vote is
needed because of disagreement) be a majority plus one

My (personal) opinion is that current text is fine.

And for difficult topics, the IAOC chair can decide that he will only
go fowward with a "majority plus one", so the current text allows the
IETF chair to do so in cases where needed. We should trust such
a chair also to do sensible things, no?

Bert
Scott