Re: iasa-bcp-01 - Open Issues - Separate bank accounts

2004-12-03 11:33:15
Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Hi Brian,

At 10:38 AM +0100 12/3/04, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On the other hand, transparency requires the ability to inspect the accounts that are pertinent to the IETF, its budget vs it projected expenditure vs its actual expenditures. This can, I believe, be adequately handled by so-called 'divisional accounting'.

Exactly. I think the -01 draft has it right, except that I propose
adding a sentence at the end of paragraph 5 in section 2.2:

  All such funds and donations shall be irrevocably assigned to the IETF.

(Like my "irrevocable" for the intellectual property, this is
intended for the bolt-blowing situation.)

Who are we trying to protect ourselves from? And what does it mean for funds to be "irrevocably assigned to the IETF"?

While I agree that the IASA accounting needs to be transparent and understandable, I think that we should be cautious about making public, hard-to-change rules about our own accounting structures and fund transfers that may limit our flexibility and/or negatively impact the stability of the organization later.

People seem to be concerned about IETF having control of the assets
if we ever had to split off from ISOC. It was just intended to
address that concern with minimum verbiage. I don't think it constrains
cash flow arrangements.

   Brian