RE: Consensus(2)? IPR rights and all that

2004-12-06 18:38:49
In line

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 16:36
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Consensus(2)? IPR rights and all that

After a brief trip to the lawyer, and considering current
discussion... a new suggestion:

Replace principle 6 with the following:

   6.  The IETF, through the IASA, shall have a perpetual
       right to use, display, distribute, reproduce, modify and
       create derivatives of all data created in support of IETF
       activities.

So does the above include the copy-right on RFCs?
Or is it covered elsewhere?

Anyway, I have put above text in my working copy of the doc.

(Jorge liked "perpetual" better than "irrevocable permanent"
- the stuff  after "to" is a well known legal incantation).

And in section 3.1 "IAD Responsibilities", add after
paragraph 4 ("The IAD
negotiates service contracts"):

  The IAD is responsible for ensuring that all contracts give the IASA
  and the IETF the rights in data that is needed to satisfy the principle
  of data access.
  This is needed to make sure the IETF
  has access to the data it needs at all times, and that the IASA can
  change contractors when needed without disrupting IETF work.

  Whenever reasonable, if software is developed under an IASA contract
  it should should remain usable by the IETF beyond the terms of the
  contract. Some ways of achieving this are by IASA ownership or an
  open source license; an open source license is preferrable.
  The IAD will decide how the interest of the IETF is best served
  when making such contracts.

Done

(This is giving the IAD a little more room to maneuver, while still
stating a clear preference.)

Works?

Works for me
Bert