Re: Consensus(2)? IPR rights and all that

2004-12-07 03:38:44

--On tirsdag, desember 07, 2004 04:49:36 -0500 Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

"Harald" == Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> writes:

    Harald>    6.  The IETF, through the IASA, shall have a perpetual
    Harald> right to use, display, distribute, reproduce, modify and
    Harald> create derivatives of all data created in support of IETF
    Harald> activities.

    Harald> (Jorge liked "perpetual" better than "irrevocable
    Harald> permanent" - the stuff after "to" is a well known legal
    Harald> incantation).

This works for me provided that the legalese gives us the right to
sublicense these rights to others.

That's more than we currently ask people to assign to the IETF when making submissions to the IETF (RFC 3667) - there, we ask only for permission to use it within the IETF process (which may mean some sublicensing, and may not). Not sure what we should write here - I wouldn't want to write something here that would require reopening RFC 3667 for consistency.

                     Harald