Re: Consensus(2)? IPR rights and all that

2004-12-07 03:51:52
"Harald" == Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
writes:

    Harald> --On tirsdag, desember 07, 2004 04:49:36 -0500 Sam Hartman

<harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>

    Harald> 6.  The IETF, through the IASA, shall have a perpetual
    Harald> right to use, display, distribute, reproduce, modify and
    Harald> create derivatives of all data created in support of IETF
    Harald> activities.
    >>
    Harald> (Jorge liked "perpetual" better than "irrevocable
    Harald> permanent" - the stuff after "to" is a well known legal
    Harald> incantation).
    >>  This works for me provided that the legalese gives us the
    >> right to sublicense these rights to others.

    Harald> That's more than we currently ask people to assign to the
    Harald> IETF when making submissions to the IETF (RFC 3667) -
    Harald> there, we ask only for permission to use it within the
    Harald> IETF process (which may mean some sublicensing, and may
    Harald> not). Not sure what we should write here - I wouldn't want
    Harald> to write something here that would require reopening RFC
    Harald> 3667 for consistency.

well, I do happen to think 3667 is broken, but agree with you that we
do not want to open that can of worms at this time.

However if we change contractors, we need to have the necessary rights
to give the new contractor the rights to use our data.  I believe that
is an absolute requirement.

--Sam