RE: iasa-bcp-01 - Open Issues - Separate bank accounts

2004-12-08 06:18:47
I do want it back. Of course the exact words don't matter, but I
think that Principle 5 in Section 2.2 needs to be explicit that
the funds belong to the IETF whatever happens. For example:

   All such funds and donations shall belong irrevocably
   to the IETF.

I can't personally see a better word than "irrevocably," but it
is really a lawyer/accountant question how to phrase it.

I actually think a lawyer/accountant would have more trouble with the
word "belong" - since the IETF is STILL not an entity capable of
claiming ownership, I think you need to do something like this:

"Donations to the IETF shall be irrevocably committed to the support of
the IETF".

Does that make sense? (I'm not sure it does - any simple formulation I
make up on the spot either makes it so that meeting fees fall outside or
that ISOC funding promises are also "irrevocable", making the
within-year budget adjustments allowed for later violate the principle.
My inability to formulate the principle right doesn't mean that the
principle is invalid, however...)

Indeed :-)

We agree, I think. Your phrase is OK for me.

How about

   Once funds or in-kind donations have been credited to the IETF accounts,
   they shall be irrevocably allocated to the support of the IETF.

Bert
    Brian