Re: iasa-bcp-01 - Internet standard governance description

2004-12-08 18:22:54
At 23:01 08/12/2004, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
--On onsdag, desember 08, 2004 13:26:50 +0100 "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com> wrote:
If we want to get WSIS support and subsequent R&D public fundings as RFC
3869 calls for...........

RFC 3869 does not talk about support for the IETF standards process, but for research on the Internet. I think getting WSIS funding for the IETF standards process would be a Bad Idea.

Harald,
WSIS has no funds. It is a one shot specialized forum of the Govs the IAB wants moneyfrom. It has two main Internet issues: the Internet governance and the Internet funding.

Since Internet R&D and standard process are obviously related, I understand that you want only commercial interests to fund the IETF, and Govs to fund the development of what the IETF has independently decided? IMHO that option leads to a balkanization; all the more than the RFC 3869 does not consider the multilingual WSIS/Govs priority. I believe that the Internet standard process can address all what such a priority implies, and can contain the multilingual/multicultural risks of balkanization, but not under commercial fostering only.
jfc