Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-11 01:59:34
Hi, two problems in draft-phillips-langtags-08.txt :

1 - ISO 3166-1 is dead

This memo should not be used in new Internet standards, see
<http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondance/2003-09-25-iso-cs-code.html>

A reference to some obscure 1998 edition of ISO 3166-1 doesn't
help, would it include TL ?  What about the numerous dubious
"countries" in 3166, not the simple cases like CS, EU, or PS,
but RB, RC, FX, EH, BX, SF, or NT ?

The draft is about languages, an appendix listing relevant
country codes copied from an old ISO 3166-1 version (before CS)
should be good enough, and future changes could be handled as
IANA registry.

Where can I find the NH in en-NH ?  It's not in the public list
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/iso_3166-1_decoding_table.html?printable=true#AA

2 - Fallback

The text explains why en-US-boont matches en-US or en.  But it
does apparently not match en-boont.  That's ugly.  If I'd use
de-CH-1996, then I want it to to match de-CH or de-1996 before
a plain de.  (de-1996 => new orthography, de-CH => no &szlig;)

Another example in the draft is fr-Latn-CA.  I've no idea what
other scripts are popular in fr-CA, but maybe fr-CA is somewhat
different from fr-FX, and then I wouldn't want a match with fr
if fr-CA is also available.

A counterexample is sr-Latn-YU, a match with sr-YU or sr won't
help if it's in fact sr-Cyrl-YU or sr-Cyrl.  In that case the
priority "script before region" is okay.  In other cases like
se-Latn-AX the script is less important than the region.

                         Bye, Frank