Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-14 07:02:58
Show me a general-use RFC
3066 language tag which is too long to fit on an RFC
2822/3282 Content-Language header field line.

Your claim was that RFC 3066bis (the informal name we've been using for the
new draft) permits language tags that are longer than those permitted by RFC
3066. That is clearly false, as many people have pointed out. Any subsequent
niggling that particular *types* of language tags can be longer or not is
not relevant to the conformance implications of the two documents for
language tags. The new draft neither extends nor contracts the maximum
length of language tags conformant to RFC 3066.

Your claim that the RFC 3066 ABNF itself has a restriction in length is also
clearly false. I will quote that again since you seem somehow not to have
seen it:

"
   The syntax of this tag in ABNF [RFC 2234] is:
    Language-Tag = Primary-subtag *( "-" Subtag )
    Primary-subtag = 1*8ALPHA
    Subtag = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)
"

Both documents establish many further limitations on the contents of
language tags in the text of each document. Ignoring those stated
limitations will, in both documents, result in nonconformant language tags.

‎Mark