Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

2004-12-11 11:38:17
I have talked privately to some folks (including ISOC Board members) about this, and I think it's high time to start seriously thinking about it:

The BCP is the *IETF's* description of what the *IETF* expects out of this administrative function. But a good deal of the structure we're describing requires *ISOC* buying into this BCP and committing to its requirements. For example, it's all well and good to make requirements about the independence of the IAD and how funds are allocated to IASA, but given that ISOC is going to be the IAD's employer and the holder of the purse strings, it's really ISOC who needs to adopt these requirements and stick to them.

Now, I have every expectation of the current ISOC Board that they will vote to take on the duties outlined in the BCP (and I expect the vote to be unanimous). However, we are putting a great deal of time and effort into this project, and changing any BCP, let alone this BCP, on a whim would be no pleasant task. I would like assurance that in some future version of the ISOC Board (where perhaps priorities and projects other than the IETF become more important), we don't end up with a mere majority of the Board voting to abandon these commitments. I want ISOC stuck with us as much as we're stuck with them. :-)

To do this, I suggest that we don't call the administrative restructuring "done" until ISOC votes, by a 4/5 majority, to amend its by-laws to commit to the support of the IETF as outlined in the BCP. Procedurally, I would say that we should add a section to the BCP that simply says:

- This BCP becomes effective when the Internet Society adopts a by-law affirming the contents of this document.

And ISOC creates a by-law which says:

- The Society, given its special relationship with and financial support of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), shall support the administrative activities of the IETF as described in their Best Current Practices (BCP) number X.

(I have no problem with ISOC wanting a different sort of by-law, one which describes the relationship as opposed to just pointing to our BCP. However, again I would think that we don't call the process "done" until we agree that we've gotten the right sort of commitment out of ISOC.)

Given a by-law, if ISOC wants to pull out of the arrangement, it will take a 4/5 majority to do so. (Though I have been, and continue to be, someone who wants to see those "explosive bolts" as part of the plan, I do want them to be *bolts*, not paper clips. This is a big commitment we (IETF and ISOC) are making to each other, and I don't want it to be easy for a relatively small number of people to mess up.)

(P.S.: I will not be speeding in answering e-mail over the next few weeks, so if you have personal comments for me, please be patient for my reply.)

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102