Re: Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

2004-12-11 13:14:51
Pete,

I understand your concern, but I don't think it is necessary.
Worse, I suspect that, were ISOC to start changing their bylaws
in this sort of direction and in ways that would actually
provide the guarantees you want, they would reasonably insist on
reciprocal provisions that would prevent IETF from unwinding the
relationship without cause, would permit them to step in if they
concluded that IETF was about to self-destruct (or fizzle out)
-- see my earlier note on the implications of IETF's going under
--and so on.

Let me suggest an analogy that may help in understanding how far
we should go in this direction.  Resignations of IAB and
especially IESG members on short notice, especially if they are
immediately effective, are bad for the community.  Replacing
such people takes a month or two, work is typically delayed
during the vacancy and again while the new person reads in, etc.
As partial protection against those problems, the Nomcom
typically asks if an potential candidate has sufficient personal
commitment and organizational support to do the job.
Presumably, if the answer is "no", the person is no longer a
candidate.    But we do not, to my knowledge, require either of
the following:

        * A commitment from the potential candidate that he or
        she will not leave the job from which support exists for
        another position in which the IETF work would be less
        well supported.

        * A corporate commitment, approved by the corporate
        Board and signed off on by the CEO or Chairperson, that
        the potential candidate will not be fired or laid off,
        with or without cause, and that, even if the potential
        candidate's department is closed or spun off, the
        candidate will continue to be retained at the company
        and supported in his or her IETF work.

I could go on, but maybe that makes the point.

In the case of individuals, we assume a certain amount of
continuing and sustainable good faith and intentions on the part
of all concerned.  In the case of ISOC, there has never been any
evidence of a lack of good faith on the part of various
succeeding Boards in keeping the commitments of older ones.  To
be pragmatic about this, were a new Board to consider such lack
of good faith, it would almost certainly cost ISOC enough in
donations and other support to induce severe harm, which would
be a lot worse for them than the consequences for your company
of suddenly refusing to support your IETF participation.

Conversely, if you assume an ISOC Board that is suddenly taken
over by Evil Influences (in spite of history, IETF-appointed
Board members, etc., I don't understand your confidence that
they would not either change or ignore any IETF-specific bylaw
provisions that existed.   We certainly have sufficient IETF
precedents for ignoring inconvenient procedures without
bothering to modify them that they might take our lead.

As I indicated in a prior note, while I'm not inclined to lie
awake nights worrying about it, I'm actually much more concerned
about an out-of-control, unresponsive, and out-of-touch IASC
than I am about ISOC.  The IASC is being created by the IETF,
under IETF control, but without firm controls on responsiveness
other than selection of the membership of the IAOC.   And we
have a track record -- with the IAB pre-Kobe and, according to a
number of statements during the Problem Statement process, with
the IESG more recently -- with management machinery of our
design and creation getting out of touch, ignoring established
principles of decision-making, and so on.

      john

--On Saturday, 11 December, 2004 12:29 -0600 Pete Resnick