Re: [newtrk] Re: List of Old Standards to be retired

2004-12-16 13:22:32
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
James M. Polk wrote:

I'm initially really surprised 1518/1519 is on this list.

Obviously, it's a bug. Of the Proposed Standards that the Internet
runs on, those are among the most important. I believe this was
pointed out on the old-standards list already, but it must have
got lost.

Not really a bug. Note that the to-be-historic list does not mention this:

RFC1517 Applicability Statement for the Implementation of Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR)

This is the best document to use as a basis for respinning the concept of CIDR, AFAICS. 1518/1519 are full of address assignment etc. details which were out of date or inappropriate for a standards track document already 5 years ago. There's very small amount of useful information to salvage from those.