Re: [newtrk] Re: List of Old Standards to be retired

2004-12-16 13:11:21

Eric Rosen wrote:

Let me echo Bob Braden's "if it's not broken, why break it?" query.

Because maybe it is broke. Even if someone *has* implemented the telnet TACACS user option, would a user really want to use it? The process is broke. We say in 2026 that proposed standards should hang around and there is good reason why they shouldn't. The stuff that does hang around falls into three categories:

1.  that which works so well that we just never got around to
    advancing it
2.  that which was useful at some point but is no longer
3.  that which was never useful, and what we really had was a
    failed experiment.

In both [2] and [3] if someone lacking experience decides to (re)implement one of these that person is likely in for a snoot full of trouble by way of security and interoperability owing to the fact that the world has changed since many of these documents were written. And if something wasn't useful in the first place, perhaps smarter people than that someone figured out why.

This is a simple way to simply do what we said we were going to do.

Eliot