Re: [newtrk] Why old-standards (Re: List of Old Standards to be retired)

2004-12-17 10:02:28

--On Friday, 17 December, 2004 13:16 +0100 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

Since the IETF list is obviously in rehash-of-WG-discussion
mode today, I thought I'd contribute to the flamage, and
rehash the logic behind the list of old standards that arrived
in your inboxes a few days ago.....

Let's look back on what the IETF has decided previously.

In 1994, the IETF community resolved to make the following
procedure into "IETF law" through RFC 1602:
OK, finished shouting. Eric and Bob: the NEWTRK list is
waiting for your contribution on the principle involved, and
your internet-draft suggesting the change to RFC 2026 to get
rules aligned with reality.

It's possible that that contribution will overturn the
consensus of the WG to run this experiment.

But in the meantime - please get out of the way and let us who
want to try run the experiment and evaluate the result.

Harald, while I agree in principle, I would suggest that some of
the comments Eric, Bill, and others have pointed out call for
the beginnings of an evaluation of your experiment.   I further
suggest that evaluation is appropriate at almost any time, once
data start to come in.  My recent response to Pekka's analysis
of the CIDR documents is one suggestion about where such an
evaluation might lead.  And, of course, this whole firestorm of
discussion on the IETF list, while a welcome distraction from
hairsplitting debates about administrative structures, adds
strength to the position of those who argued in newtrk that this
effort might not be worth the
amount of community energy it would take up.

   john