Re: [Old-standards] Re: [newtrk] List of Old Standards to be retired

2004-12-17 04:52:32

--On torsdag, desember 16, 2004 16:37:09 +0100 Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

RFC1269       Definitions of Managed Objects for the Border Gateway
              Protocol: Version 3

Why would this be cruft?  The BGP4 MIB was just recently approved...

Good thing too.  Take a good look at 1269.  I don't think it would pass a
MIB compiler test today.  If you approved the BGP4-MIB, ought not that
have obsoleted this guy?

draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-15.txt says:

  This document obsoletes RFC 1269 and RFC 1657.

and the I-D tracker says:

In State: Approved-announcement to be sent :: Point Raised - writeup needed

which usually means that the shepherding AD needs to fiddle with the RFC Editor note in the announcement before sending it.

It's one of the oddities of the way we process data that it's quite hard to know that something's already obsoleted between the time the obsoleting document is approved and the publication of the RFC.

But I think the old-standards team can take RFC 1269 off the list with a note saying "obsoleted by draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib, no action necessary".

Good!

                   Harald