Re: [newtrk] List of Old Standards to be retired

2004-12-16 08:50:34
Margaret,

Thanks for your note.  Please see below for responses:

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

RFC0885       Telnet end of record option

This option was, at least at one time, used for telnet clients that connected to IBM mainframes... It was used to indicate the end of a 3270 datastream. I don't know if it is still used in that fashion, but Bob Moskowitz might know.

Thanks. It sounds about right. I'm sure tn3270 is out there and used but I don't know what options it uses.

RFC1041       Telnet 3270 regime option

I'm not sure what this was ever used for, but again Bob Moskowitz would be a good person to ask if this is still in-use.

Right.

RFC1269       Definitions of Managed Objects for the Border Gateway
              Protocol: Version 3

Why would this be cruft?  The BGP4 MIB was just recently approved...

Good thing too. Take a good look at 1269. I don't think it would pass a MIB compiler test today. If you approved the BGP4-MIB, ought not that have obsoleted this guy?

RFC1518       An Architecture for IP Address Allocation with CIDR
RFC1519       Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address
              Assignment and Aggregation Strategy

CIDR is still in-use and rather frequently discussed in other documents. Are there newer references or something?

Yah. Something slipped here. One of these two docs is cruftier than the other, and while we don't have a newer reference, we're likely to cruftify one of them and recommend that the other be revised and advanced.

Eliot