Re: #720 and #725 - Appeals and IAD autonomy

2004-12-22 13:50:07
Harald,

Another dissenting view...

Unless we modify the suggested text to deal with all sorts of
cases that we probably can't predict and that would make things
quite complicated, I don't see this working as intended.  The
sorts of cases I'm concerned about include not only information
given the IAOC under non-disclosure provisions but also
personnel matters, matters that could become the subject of
litigation or that were already being litigated, and so on, for
probably a longer list than I can imagine.

It probably will come as no surprise that I'm uncomfortable with
the potential intersection of "whipped-up mob" with
"administrative entity and processes".

So let me suggest an entirely different model for your
consideration:

(1) The IAB and/or IESG can formally ask  (I don't care about
the details)  the IAOC, or the IAD, to reconsider its decision
on any matter.  If such a request is made, the relevant body or
individual is obligated to review the decision, seek more voters
or a larger consensus if possible, and then either reaffirm the
decision or make another one.

(2) Any member of the community (or, preferably, any handful of
members of the community) can ask the IAB and/or IESG to
initiate such a reconsideration request.    The decision on that
request t initiate reconsideration can be appealed using normal
mechanisms.

(3) If the IAOC regularly misbehaves, the correct remedy is to
fire them, just like any other body acting as a board of
directors.  So we need to look carefully at recall and related
procedures and make sure that they can be used... easily enough,
but no more easily than that.

Following the model of the current text leads to opportunities
for micromanagement by appeal, and, if the IAOC and IAD are to
be effective, we just don't want to go there.   Put differently,
if people don't believe that The Right Thing is being done, they
shouldn't be looking in detail at particular decisions.  They
should, instead, be suggesting that the IAOC review its own
decisions contributing whatever additional information is
available to that review.  And, if the IAOC adopts a pattern of
doing Wrong Things, it should be time to replace them (starting
with a request for resignations), not to try to retune or
override individual decisions.

Get the right people into these positions, and then let them do
the job.

If we can't find the right people and put them there, then none
of these procedures --other than firing the duds and trying
again-- are good enough to protect the IETF.  Perhaps worse, we
then run the risk of getting us seriously bogged down while we
try to use those incremental correction procedures.

     john

--On Wednesday, 22 December, 2004 16:21 +0100 Harald Tveit