Re: Consensus? #746 Section 3.4 - IAOC decision making

2004-12-22 13:47:07
<hat editor=off just-another-bozo=on>

At Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:25:07 -0500 (EST), Scott Bradner wrote:

Brian suggested:
   Just another thought on this. Perhaps there is a formulation
   something like

   IAOC decisions are taken by a majority of the non-conflicted IAOC
   members who are available to vote in person, by teleconference, or
   by email.

this would deal with my issue - thanks Brian

I really have been trying to stay out of this debate, partly because
arguing over details would interfere with what I think my role in this
document is supposed to be, partly because I don't want to prolong
debate unnecessarily.  But this particular thread was the last straw.

We now appear to be proposing to embed what is very close to a list of
specific technologies via which voting is allowed to occur in the BCP.
So, eg, Jabber is unacceptable?  Is SIP a telephone?  Is H.323 a
telephone?  Is NNTP allowed, or only SMTP?  What is wrong with this
picture?

At the detail level, if we really must have text on this, please say
"vote in person or by suitable electronic means" or something like
that so that we're not dictating particular technologies.

At a slightly higher level, if we need to define quorum rules, perhaps
we should just define quorum rules and have done with it rather than
all this nuanced circling around the issue.

Or, finally, and perhaps best, perhaps we could just let the IAOC
define its own quorum rules rather than micromanaging this.

In the interest of suggesting a specific fix: I propose that we just
drop this issue with no change to the text in the current draft.

</hat>