Re: Consensus? #746 Section 3.4 - IAOC decision making

2004-12-22 07:28:38
OK, you guys are playing out of my depth, but ...

However, there can be situations where less than half the IAOC *is* an appropriate majority - consider, for instance, a situation where two of the IAOC are on holiday (leaving us with 6), one of the IAOC is employed by EvilCorp, and the IAOC has to handle a complaint on awarding a contract to EvilCorp (causing one to recuse), and for some reason the issue is urgent and can't wait for the remaining 2 members to come back.

Previously, I was speaking in favor of a very minimal appeal process for IAOC decisions (in the thread "Re: Adminrest: section 3.5b").

I'm not sure I'm as happy with limited appeals if two IAOC members can lock themselves in a closet and start making decisions. Maybe this is so far outside "reasonable" that I shouldn't be worried?

I guess I can live with this, if the expectation is that the rest of the IAOC DOES return and reopens previously-made egregious decisions - and I'm not sure I can imagine a decision that is so urgent that it can't wait for something like a representative sample to assemble AND cannot be reversed by the IAOC.

I think attempting to work all these corner cases out in the BCP is not a Good Thing.

After talking with Margaret Wasserman about her two-stop flight from the Bay Area to western Alaska to Seattle to Seoul (did I get this right?) with entirely too many IAB and IESG members on one flight, I have to think that it is likely that we'll have a corner case some day where the IAOC has to make decisions and there isn't a "serving majority" available - I'm thinking of the planes and passengers stacked up at Halifax, Nova Scotia after 9/11 for a few days, for example - and trying to accommodate every possible scenario in a BCP is definitely Not A Good Thing.

Spencer

Harald