RE: Consensus? #746 Section 3.4 - IAOC decision making

2004-12-22 12:32:26
I'm happy with this version.

--On onsdag, desember 22, 2004 17:29:12 +0100 "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen(_at_)lucent(_dot_)com> wrote:

Brian writes:

Just another thought on this. Perhaps there is a formulation
something like

  IAOC decisions are taken by a majority of the non-conflicted IAOC
  members who are available to vote in person, by teleconference, or
  by email.

so that we avoid defining a specific quorum but do require
a majority of those who are not off in the woods.

wfm.  So this is (I believe) an additional sentence (in addition
to earlier text suggested by harald). WIth this includes, the
complete text on this topic (in my edit buffer) looks like:

            <section title="IAOC Decision Making"
anchor="iaoc-decision-making">                 <t>
                    The IAOC attempts to reach all decisions
                    unanimously.  If unanimity cannot be achieved, the
                    IAOC chair may conduct informal polls to determine
                    the consensus of the group.  In cases where it is
                    necessary, some decisions may be made by voting.
                    For the purpose of judging consensus or voting,
                    only the "voting members" (as defined in <xref
                    target="iaoc-membership"/>) shall be counted.
                    If voting results in a tie, then IAOC chair
                    decides how to proceed with the decision process.
                </t>
                <t>
                    IAOC decisions are taken by a majority of the
                    non-conflicted IAOC members who are available to
                    vote in person, by teleconference, or by email.
                </t>
                <t>
                    The IAOC decides further details about its
                    decision-making rules.
                    These rules will be made public.
                </t>
                <t>
                    All IAOC decisions are minuted.
                    Minutes are published regularly.
                </t>

Harald, do we see consensus (I think I do)

Bert
    Brian

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> Scott suggested that:
>>
>>> I think it must be made clear that all IAOC decision
making involves
>>> all IAOC members then in office - not just a subset that
might show up
>>> at a meeting or on a phone call
>>>
>>> maybe add: "All IAOC decision making includes all IAOC
members then in
>>> office."
>>

>> My reading of the discussion is that there is no support
for making
>> such a requirement (too many corner cases with absent
members), and
>> that writing detailed rules on IAOC decision making into
the BCP is a