Re: Issue #740: Section 2.2 & 5.6 - IASA BCP -02 Reserves [was RE: I ASA BCP -02 Reserves - section 2.2 /7 and 5.6]

2004-12-26 06:54:37

Hi Bert,

W.r.t. the "divisional" vs "cost center" coounting....
We got the text on "Divisional Accounting" and on "sepearet set of
accounts" from Glenn Ricart, so what should it be. If we do make a
change we need to make it consistent over the whole doc.
Probably best to keep that for working out when we sit down with the
accountants?

When are you planning to sit down with the accountants?

The IETF LC for this document is scheduled to end in less than 2 weeks, and this sentence implies (to me anyway) that we still haven't had it reviewed by the accountants? Has it been reviewed by our lawyers?

Personally, I would like to see those reviews completed and any related changes made to the document well before the IETF LC ends.

 >the IASA looks to  ISOC to build and provide that operational
 >reserve, through whatever mechanisms ISOC deems  appropriate: line
 >of credit, financial reserves,  meeting cancellation insurance, and
 >so forth.  Such reserves do not appear instantaneously; the  goal is
 >to reach this level of reserves within 3  years after the creation
 >of the IASA. Such funds  shall be held in reserve for use by IASA
 >for use  in the event of IETF meeting cancellation or other
 >unexpected fiscal emergencies. These reserves shall  only be spent
 >on IETF support functions.

 The penultimate sentence above seems to be redundant, and in any case
 the last two sentences are not in agreement with the earlier ones
 that say it may be held as a line of credit, etc. nor with the notion
 that the IASA would not be holding a separate reserve (2.2 - 7 seems
 to imply the same thing?).   Finally, access to these reserves would
 expect to follow normal IAOC and ISOC approval processes for any
 budget overruns and would not automatically be available for use by
 IASA in the event of meeting cancellations or other emergencies.
 Maybe replace the last two sentences with some variation of "Access
 to these reserves would expect to follow normal IAOC and ISOC
 approval processes for any budget overruns."

I believe that the current text was quite extensively discussed in the
past. I am not sure I can just go ahaead and make changes based on
one person bringing it up. So I'd like to see more support on the list
first.

I share Lynn's concerns about this paragraph, particularly the last sentence which is inconsistent with the descriptions of the reserve elsewhere in the document.

Margaret