RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-01 19:26:43
Harald Tveit Alvestrand <> supposedly scribbled:

--On 30. desember 2004 22:05 -0800 "Glen Zorn (gwz)"
<gwz(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Paris in August:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2003-09-25-france-heat_x.htm

at first I just smiled at this, then I realized that the poster
apparently meant this seriously.......

Yes, I did (though I admit I see little humor is the story).
However, my main point was not so much that we would die in droves
(or at all); more to the point is the question of why we seem to go
out of our way to find unpleasant weather for our meetings.

Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
Paris
summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;

2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional that
everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no doubt
because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?

I guess people who have
survived Southern California will feel right at home.

As the old joke about Hell goes, "It ain't the heat, it's the
humidity."

To quote
Slashdot: It's always interesting to RTFA.

Ha Ha.  You (and others) have made the point quite well that the
majority of IETFers are probably hardy enough to suffer through the
week without actually dying.  So what?  The real question is why we
must suffer at all (I'm actually rather surprised that Phoenix has
not become the permanent summer choice -- 130F would certainly keep
us in the hotel where (apparently) we belong.

Happy new year, everyone!

                           Harald

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel