RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-02 11:36:51
Iljitsch van Beijnum <mailto:iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> supposedly
scribbled:

On 2-jan-05, at 3:20, Glen Zorn ((gwz)) wrote:

Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
Paris summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;

2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional
that
everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no
doubt
because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?

Well, AFAIK _everywhere_ in the US having air conditioning at home
is
common,

Actually, hardly anyone has AC here in Seattle because historically
it's been unneeded.

while this is rare in middle / northern Europe. Don't forget
we are located much further to the north than major population
centers elsewhere in the world.

Even though august is the warmest month, I think going on vacation
during that time is more a cultural thing than a climatological
one.
I don't know how many vacation days people get in France, but I'm
pretty sure it's much more than what people in the US get (here in
Holland it's 22 or 24 days a year minimum).

But anyway, if a conference center/hotel is going to hold more
than a
thousand people, they'll have to have air conditioning, and if you
don't skimp on the hotel it will have this as well, so you'll be
exposed to the blistering Paris heat for just a few hours a day...

I hope so: as I recall, the air conditioning at the hotel in Munich
was completely inadequate, to the point that people were passing out
in conference rooms...

(And what I understand from the extra deaths due to the heat is
that
it's people who die slightly earlier than they would have
otherwise.
If it were a more fundamental problem this would shed a very
different light on the US practice to ship the elderly off to
Florida...)

We do not "ship the elderly off" to Florida (or Arizona, etc.).
Only those who can afford to, go; and I assure you, they have AC.

BTW, how much worse are the Minneapolis temperatures in march vs
those in november?

Let's not go there: for some reason the powers-that-be have decided
that it's a great idea to gather at least once if not twice a year
in a place where people live like pet rodents, scurrying through
tunnels to avoid their own homicidal weather and (apparently) a trip
to the Mall (always capitalized, like "God" or "Rome") is considered
to be a "social" event.  I don't understand & I don't think I want
to, though a forensic psychologist might find it a rich area for
research.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel