Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-05 07:11:10
ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com scripsit:

Finding country codes is straightforward: any non-initial subtag of
two letters (not appearing to the right of "x-" or "-x-") is a country
code.  This is true in RFC 1766, RFC 3066, and the current draft.

On the contrary, in RFC 3066 the rule is "any 2 letter value that
appears as the second subtag is a country code". The rule in the new
draft is either the formulation you give above or  "any 2 letter value
that appears as a subtag after the initial subtag and some number of
3 and 4 letter subtags".

I didn't state it as a rule, but as true.  Every non-initial 2-letter
tag in RFC 3066 is a country code; the same is true in the draft.
(A private correspondent notes that the reference to "-x-" should
in fact be a reference to any singleton, though "-x-" and "i-" are
the only singletons currently usable.)

Just because something doesn't necessarily do something doesn't mean it
never does it.

It does mean it can't be counted on in the general case.

Well, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I see nothing in RFC
3066 that > qualifies as a description of a matching algorithm.

Section 2.5 (2.4.1 in the draft) states the matching rule in a succinct
fashion.  Everything in 2.4.2 is a non-normative elaboration of this.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
jcowan(_at_)reutershealth(_dot_)com