Re: Consensus? #771 Powers of the Chair of the IAOC

2005-01-05 08:07:14
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

- There is nothing clear about whether the IAOC chair is peer, superior or subordinate to the IAB chair or the IETF chair (or, for that matter, the ISOC President).

I don't think the last point should be addressed. This document lays out the specific mechanisms for appointment of the IAOC and its chair; it is clear that the document does not specify a hierarchy, but a network relationship.

wfm ... The relationship of the chairs should be set by the relationship of the entities, so we should focus there.
To the first point, I think it's reasonable to remove the language that doesn't have a referent. It also seems to me that it fits better if rearranged a bit. What about this?

  The members of the IAOC shall select one of its appointed voting
  members to serve as the chair of the IAOC.

  The chair of the IAOC shall have the authority to manage the
  activities and meetings of the IAOC.

  The term
  of the IAOC chair shall be one year, with no restriction on renewal.
  The chair of the IAOC may be removed at any time by the affirmative
  vote of two-thirds of the voting members of the IAOC, or as a result
  of his or her departure from the IAOC.

OK.