RE: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-05 15:25:25
From: ietf-languages-bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no [mailto:ietf-languages-
bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no] On Behalf Of Bruce Lilly

[...] RFC 1766/3066 need to be able to deal with tags that contain pieces
they don't
know about -- the only subtags they can know about are initial subtags of
"i", "x" or
ISO 639 IDs, or a second subtag consisting of an ISO 3166 code in case the
first
subtag is and ISO 639 ID.

Right. I.e. they should be able to deal with superfluous stuff
on the right.  But not script tags that suddenly appear between
language code and country code.

For purposes of an RFC 1766/3066 parser, a script tag plus anything after it
would be "stuff on the right I don't know anything specific about". It could
not be described as superfluous -- the process can still compare tags and make
matches according to whatever rules it uses, such as left-prefix matching.

For the triple of
language/country/script to match usefully in the general case by
RFC 3066 parsers (which are unaware of script in general), the first
and second subtags would have to remain language code and country
code respectively.

If you consider realistic scenarios, this makes the wrong assumption that
country distinctions generally matter more to users.

not on a Quixotic quest for "stability"
of nations.

The draft doesn't try to achieve stability of nations. Only stability in the
semantics of metadata elements.

Peter Constable