Re: Consensus search: #725 3.4b Appealing decisions

2005-01-14 11:48:47
"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> writes:

    Brian> Avri said
    >> I think creating the procedure to avoid so called 'DOS attacks'
    >> is, in effect, fighting a problem we do not have.

    Brian> But we do not have a body responsible to the IETF community
    Brian> today that awards commercial contracts. As I understand the
    Brian> concern, it's that when we create this body, we expose it
    Brian> to a real risk of people/companies misusing its public
    Brian> responsibility for frankly commercial reasons. As in
    Brian> mailbombing with messages like "why did you award the
    Brian> contract to A, when I have been told that B's bid was ten

I tend to agree with Avri that we're solving a problem we don't know
we will have.  I'd prefer to leave open the possibility of a DOS
attack and to have a mechanism for reviewing decisions.  We can go
close the DOS problem when it actually becomes a real issue instead of
a theoretical one.

That said, like Avri, it looks like I'm in a minority.  I can live
with the current text.

--Sam