Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-25 11:40:47
"John" == John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> However, failure to take adequate comments before making a
    >> decision seems like a reasonable justification from my
    >> standpoint for reviewing that decision.  Depending on the
    >> consequences of doing so it may even be appropriate to reverse
    >> such decisions.  There is significant but *not infinite* cost
    >> to reversing a decision.  There can also be significant cost to
    >> having a bad decision.  There is also a cost to the review
    >> process itself.

    John> I'm making an assumption here which might not be valid.  I'm
    John> assuming that, generally, possible IAOCs will fall into one
    John> of two categories.

I think I disagree with this assumption and I think that is the core
of our disagreement.

    John> One --the one we want-- will be open and
    John> transparent whenever possible, will try to design things to
    John> allow for community input before decisions are made whenever
    John> possible, and will try to establish principles, in
    John> conjunction with the community, about how things should be
    John> done and then follow them.
I agree with you that if the IAOC  is interested in secrecy then
    John> recall is the best and only solution.

however I suspect that even a desirable IAOC will not match the
platonic ideal of your first category.  They will end up cutting
corners, making decisions that people disagree with, etc.  We hope
they are generally interested in openness, consensus-building and
establishing principles.  They will also be interested in getting work
done and will have limited resources.

I suspect that some times, even the best of people will make the wrong
decision or use the wrong process.  When such a group of people is
faced with an appeal or review, they will honestly sit down and
reconsider their decision and sometimes even decide they were wrong.

Infrequent use of an appeals process--even one leading to successful
appeals does not always mean there is a process problem or even that
someone needs replacing.

--Sam