Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-23 15:50:05
"John" == John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

    John> Where I, and some others, have tried to go in the interest
    John> of finding a position that everyone can live with is well
    John> short of what I (and I think you) would like.  I suspect we
    John> may still end up pretty close to your position or mine in
    John> practice, but that the community will need to learn,
    John> experimentally, that frequent and detailed interactions with
    John> the IAOC does not serve either the IASA or the IETF well.

I completely agree that frequent and detailed interactions do not
serve the IETF or IASA well.

My position stems from two assumptions.  First, while frequent
second-guessing of the IASA is problematic, there are exceptional
circumstances where asking to review a specific decision will improve
the quality of that decision or the underlying procedures; recalling
the IAOC or removing members in these circumstances is too heavy
weight of a solution.  Secondly, I assume that only very limited
procedural safeguards are required to make sure these interactions do
not become too frequent: I believe the IETF community understands the
value in rarely using exception paths and in selecting carefully
decisions for which exception paths should be used.  Moreover I
believe that the cost of trying to design procedural limits up front
is higher than the cost of figuring out if any procedural limits are
needed and putting them in place later.

I do have operational familiarity with being in a management role
where my decisions were subject to appeal.  Overall I actually prefer
working in a situation where there are sanity checks on my actions.  I
would find it unacceptable if my decisions were often appealed.
Similarly, if certain decisions were overturned I would find that I
needed to move on and find other responsibilities.  Provided that the
appeals/review body is aware of the implications of both these limits,
review procedures are a good thing.

--Sam