Re: Mud. Clear as. Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-26 10:44:20

Avri,

I hear what you are saying.   I retained the proposed text
for being obliged to respond only when direct by IAB/IESG
because people seemed to want it for rate limiting (i.e.,
preventing DoS).  So, we can't just throw it out.  We can
change it (entirely), but the empty set option does
not seem to meet other requirements expressed here.

The one further adjustment I think I would suggest to
my text of yesterday is to change "Answered requests...
made public" to "All requests...made public".  I.e., it
should not be possible for the IAD/IAOC to sweep issues
under a carpet.

Personally, I believe that does make the IASA ultimately
accountable to the IETF community as a whole, even if it
is not *instantaneously* accountable to the IETF community
for every decision.

And I think it is important that we not lose sight of
the other things my proposed text attempted to capture
and distinguish.

Leslie.

avri(_at_)psg(_dot_)com wrote:
Hi Leslie,

This formulation is still of the form that does not give the IETF community a direct voice in the review and appeal mechanisms for the IAOC.

I, personally see not reason why the IAOC is not directly addressable by the community and does not have a direct obligation to the IETF community. While I am comfortable with the IESG and IAB being the appeal path for the IAOC, I am not comfortable with them being a firewall for the IAOC.

I think this is a fundamental question that differentiates Margaret's formulation from yours. I also think it is a fundamental question that goes back to issues in the problem statement about the current leadership model: too much influence is focused in one leadership group. One benefit of the creation of the IAOC is that it spreads the task of running of the IETF to another group of people. As such, I think the IAOC must be required to respond directly to the community.

a.