Re: Mud. Clear as. Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-27 07:19:30
I am actually not strongly in favor of principle (6) myself. I think that the IAB, IESG and ISOC BoT could be trusted to decide whether overturning a particular (non-binding) decision is appropriate in a particular situation. But, others seemed to feel strongly that allowing anyone else to overturn any decision of the IAOC would be very bad. I can't say that I fully understand why.

Hi, Margaret,

There are probably a variety of reasons why people might have this view, but mine are:

- if we have people on IAB/IESG who are better at making IAOC decisions than the IAOC is, we have the wrong people on the IAOC (or perhaps the wrong people on IAB/IESG, but that's another story), and

- some decisions are always bad ("let's start a land war in Asia"), but most bad decisions are more obviously bad when looking back, so we're usually talking about second-guessing based on hindsight.

So it's not that I don't trust the IAB/IESG to decide whether overturning a decision is appropriate in a particular situation, it's that I don't like what that says about our structure and processes.

Saying, "you guys didn't think about X when you made this decision, and you should think about it the next time this decision matters" is fine with me.

Spencer