Re: Suggested resolution - #826: Section 4 - Removal of the IAOC Chair

2005-01-28 07:12:23

--On fredag, januar 28, 2005 08:19:03 -0500 Scott Bradner <sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Harald suggests
   The Chair serves at the pleasure of the IAOC, and may be removed from
   that position at any time by a vote of five of the IAOC voting members.

I don't think its a good idea to use absolute numbers - its better
to use fractions '4/5ths of the voting members' for example - in case
you have a situation where some IAOC members have dropped off for some
reason - using absolute numbers can get into a situation where the
action can not be taken even though all existing members of the
IAOC want to do so

But that slides us straight back into the situation where we must make rules for whether or not people who are on holiday are counted or not, what constitutes a quorum, and so on. How do you say that 2/3 of a meeting that had only 4 of the IAOC members present is not acceptable?

It was the fraction "2/3" that Russ objected to in the first place, pointing out that this means 6 out of 8 if everyone's present - which he thought was too much of a required majority.

In the case where the IAOC is short 3 members (required for the situation you describe), I think we can live with a chair not being removed until the selecting bodies have named replacements for members who are no longer willing or able to serve (if that is the situation you are worried about).

                        Harald