Re: Proposed consensus text: #725 Appealing decisions

2005-01-28 11:01:21

--On fredag, januar 28, 2005 12:35:08 -0500 Leslie Daigle <leslie(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com> wrote:

   on the nature of the review request.  Based on the results
of the review,
   the IAOC may choose to overturn their own decision and/or
to change their
   operational guidelines to prevent further
misunderstandings.

This doesn't give the IAOC the option of saying "no, you are
wrong [because...], and we aren't going to change anything".
Combined with other text above, that would imply that any member
of the community can force the IAOC into either changing a
decision or changing the operational guidelines.  The IAOC must
be able to say "no you are wrong".  If must even be able to say
"you have raised fifteen objections in the last 30 days, all of
which have been turned down by us and everyone in the appeals
chain, please go improve you sand-pounding skills".

Agreed -- and I think Scott Brim flagged a different aspect of
the same problem.  I don't think there is anything intentional
in not expanding this to include other options at the discretion
of the IAOC.  Perhaps removing it (as Scott suggested) is best.
Personally, I'm as happy to leave those options in as explicit
(but not limiting) examples.

I read the "may" as giving examples, not an exhaustive list.
Adding "do nothing" to the list makes it more clear that it's an alternative, but I don't think it makes the list exhaustive - it just makes it look even more as if it is.

"Based on the results of the review, the IAOC may choose to overturn their own decision, change their operational guidelines to prevent further misunderstandings, do both, do neither, or do something else".

?