Re: some pending IASA issues

2005-02-02 22:00:29
At 02:38 03/02/2005, Eric Rescorla wrote:

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com> writes:
> The concern is that you do not want to use the ISOC capacity to better
> legally and financially manage/advise the IASA, also that you favor
> the possibility to influence the choice of contractors location
> through the choice of IAOC members. I think there is there a source of
> COI and protests for lack of transparency.
>
> I therefore insist for the above paragraph to be slightly modified in
> using "[The IAB and IESG should chose] people from the various regions
> of the world [with some knowledge of contracts ....]".

For the record, this is a terrible idea to codify. This is precisely
the sort of policy matter that the IESG and IAB should decide
for themselves.

Eric,
I make a difference, and this is why I ask the change, between the IAB and IESG where the global technical expertise is of the essence, and the IAOC where field legal, financial and organizational skills are looked for. Also, IAB and IESG people do not sign commercial contracts.

jfc

PS. Changing IESG and IAB policy would be to change the Internet standard process. This is *not* the intent. However the "international" addition I also request may help the IAD to document the IAB and IESG how the ISOC Chapters support *could* (I do not know, but I do not want to lose the opportunity if it exists) better support that process in some cases, and most probably help the IETF meetings organization.

ISOC France has proven its ability to organize international top level gatherings and socializing. We could certainly help. To follow on the Draft-Phillips-languages-08.txt key issues, my organization will set-up a range of Culture/Language oriented meetings. I would certainly be happy to coordinate through the ISOC Chapter and guest a meeting of the ietf-languages(_at_)alverstrand(_dot_)no list members who would happen to be at the Paris meeting.