Re: some pending IASA issues

2005-02-06 13:41:10
Sam,

I completely agree. While it may be "politically correct" to involve the
ISOC chapters, it should not be a required course of action. It is also
worth noting that only a SMALL number of ISOC chapters are actually
active, have regular meetins, or even a web or e-mail presence. The
chapter model was adopted to allow global reach, but in a world where
people have little time for face-to-face meetings and conduct most of
their business "on line," this hasn't proved to be a very useful model.

There ARE a few exceptions, don't get me wrong, but they number maybe a
dozen or less chapters on a world-wide basis, with less than 100 people
involved by my guesstimate.

Ole (former VP for Chapters at ISOC)

Ole J. Jacobsen
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj