Re: IPR language in IASA BCP

2005-02-11 09:17:58

--On 11. februar 2005 07:10 -0800 Eric Rescorla <ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com> wrote:

In reviewing the IASA BCP I noticed a minor issue:

S 2.2 and 3.1 refer to "perpetual right to use, display, etc."
The standard language here typically includes both "royalty-free"
(or "fully-paid up") and "irrevocable". I would particularly think
we want to specify that no future royalties are due.

I think "fully paid up" (unsure where to place the dashes) should be uncontroversial to add, especially as, thanks to ISOC's edits, we have an escape clause if we really, really have to.

I am somewhat afraid of insisting on "irrevocable", since many forms of license (including the GPL) are revocable for cause.